1 hours 10 mins
1 hours 35 mins
- 1 loaf (14 oz) of Schar white bread
- 8 tbsp butter
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 2 apples, chopped (with skins)
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- ½ cup cranberries
- ½ cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dried sage
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 can vegetable/chicken/beef broth (make sure it's GF because many are not!)
- Tear or slice the bread into cubes. I made 16 cubes from each slice of bread.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a large baking dish.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 3 tbsp of butter.
- Add onion, celery, apples, carrot to skillet. Cook for about 8 minutes.
- Stir in cranberries, walnuts, sage, and thyme, and cook 1 more minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in remaining 5 tbsp of butter.
- In a large bowl, add bread cubes, skillet mixture, and broth.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish and cover with foil.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove foil and cook for about 15-20 minutes more or until bread is golden.
Rate this recipe