Frosted Heart Chocolate Cupcakes
FOR THE CAKE:
- 2 ¼ cups GF all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 8 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 cup milk
- ⅓ cup oil
- ½ cup water
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 3 to 3.5 cups powdered sugar
- 12 tbsp butter, softened
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners. Makes about 24 cupcakes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the butter to the bowl, and then add in the oil.
- Add the pure vanilla extract, milk, and water to the bowl, and mix well.
- Add the eggs to the bowl, and mix well.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake liners.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Let the cupcakes cool.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the powdered sugar, butter, vanilla extract, and milk to make the buttercream frosting. Mix well. Start with 3 cups of powdered sugar and if you need more, then add another ½ cup. If you want more frosting, you can double the amounts for the frosting recipe. Or if you want less frosting, cut the recipe in half.
- Cut off the top of each cupcake. Use a small heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out a heart on each cupcake top. You can eat the cupcake heart cut-outs or save for later.
- Separate the frosting into 2 bowls. For the pink frosting, add a drop or two of red food coloring to first bowl of frosting. For the red frosting, add a few drops of red food coloring to the second bowl of coloring. You can always add more food coloring so start with just a little.
- Add the frosting to a frosting decorator tool or a zip lock bag. If using a zip lock bag, then seal the bag and use scissors to cut off a smaller corner of the bag. If using a decorator tool, first do the pink frosting.
- If you want more frosting than just in the heart cut-out, first add frosting on top of cupcake bottom. This will keep the cupcake top from moving as well. Place the cupcake top on top of the cupcake bottom.
- Frost the inside the heart cut-out on each chocolate cupcake. Can add sprinkles too if you wish.
Rate this recipe