1 hours 30 mins
FOR THE PIE CRUST:
- 2.5 cups GF all-purpose flour (plus extra flour to sprinkle when rolling out the dough)
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 12 tbsp cold butter, cut in small pieces
- 2 egg yolk
- 6-18 tbsp cold water
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
FOR THE FILLING:
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (about 5 medium apples)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp GF all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
FOR THE CRUST:
- 1 egg white
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Add butter to bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine egg yolk, apple cider vinegar, and 6 tbsp of water with a fork.
- Add contents of small bowl to larger bowl, and combine well. Add additional water if necessary, one tbsp at a time. Dough should start to form. I ended up using all 18 tbsp of cold water. I did this by hand with a spatula but you can use a food processor or mixer.
- Divide dough in half, making one half slightly larger. Flatten dough to form two disks. Cover both doughs with plastic wrap, and put in fridge while you make the filling.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium or large bowl, toss the sliced peeled apple pieces with lemon juice. In a small bowl, start to make the filling by combining the granulated sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add small bowl mixture to large bowl so everything combines.
- Lay a 12x12 inch of parchment paper on counter. Sprinkle GF flour all over the parchment paper. Roll larger disk of dough into a circle, roughly 11 inches diameter. Keep adding some flour as needed when the dough gets sticky. Place crust on pie dish - I used a 9 inch pie dish. I put the pie dish upside down on top of the rolled out dough, and carefully flipped it over. Press the dough gently into the pie dish. Trim overhanging dough. Sprinkle some flour on a fork, and use the fork to make a design on the crust edges. Put pie crust in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Roll out remaining dough to make a lattice crust. Continue to sprinkle flour as needed. Cut the dough into even strips, about ½ inch to ¾ inch wide, depending on how thick you want your lattice strips. You can use a pizza wheel or knife to cut the dough.
- Fill your pie shell with the apple pie filling. Lay out 4 to 7 parallel strips of the pie dough, depending on how thick your strips are, on top of the filling, with about ½ inch to ¾ inch space between them. Add perpendicular strips as well, weaving the strips so you have a woven pattern.
- Beat egg white until foamy. I used an egg beater. Using a brush, brush foamy egg white all over the crust edges and strips. Cover pie very loosely with non-stick tin foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 20-25 minutes longer, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Let the pie cool. When ready to serve, you can top with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, or eat solo!
- Store pie in an airtight container or wrapped well. Fruit pies can be stored at room temperature for up to two days, and then should be store in the fridge for the next two days. Enjoy it cold from the fridge, or warm it up!
Rate this recipe