Zucchini Lasagna with Chicken
1 hours 23 mins
- 2 large zucchini or 3 medium zucchini, sliced ⅛ inch thick
- 1 lb chicken, diced
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- ⅓ of an onion, chopped
- 20 oz (or 2.5 cups) marinara pasta sauce
- 1 egg
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil
- red pepper flakes
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise into slices. You can use a mandolin, peeler, or vegetable sheet cutter to slice the zucchini. To make the zucchini lasagna less watery, slice your zucchini into thinner slices. Salt the zucchini, and let it sit for at least 15 minutes (I did longer). Then blot the zucchini dry with a paper towel.
- Cook the chicken. I cooked the chicken in a medium-sized pan until no longer pink on the inside. Add salt & pepper to taste. Remove from heat, and dice chicken.
- Over medium heat, put avocado oil & chopped onion in a pan. Saute until onions are golden - about 5 minutes.
- In a pan, combine the chicken, onions, and tomato sauce (omit enough sauce to cover the bottom of the square pan for later on). The tomato sauce I used already has spices like oregano, basil, black pepper, parsley, and garlic. If your sauce doesn't, then you can add a few tablespoons of spices. Sift everything together, and let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, and egg.
- I used an 8x8 glass pan. Spray cooking spray on pan. Take the portion of sauce you put aside a few steps back, and spread it so it covers the bottom of the pan.
- Layer one layer of the zucchini slices to cover the sauce. I did one horizontal row of zucchini slices and then one vertical row of zucchini slices. Spread the ricotta/parmesan/egg mixture on zucchini slices. Add mozzarella cheese. Add sauce/chicken/onion mixture. Repeat these steps by layering the remaining ingredients evenly, about three times. You should end with mozzarella as the top layer.
- Cover the pan with foil, and place pan in the oven, and cook for 30 minutes. You can put pan on a baking sheet in case if any sauce drips.
- Remove pan from oven, and take foil off. Raise oven temperature to 375 degrees, and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Next you can switch to high broil for a few minutes to brown the cheese. Keep a close eye on it because it will brown quickly.
- Remove pan from oven. Garnish with fresh basil and red pepper flakes if desired.
Rate this recipe