Red Velvet Cupcakes
FOR THE CAKE:
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2.5 to 3 cups powdered sugar (I used Vitacost certified organic powdered sugar)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners. Makes about 24 cupcakes.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, eggs, buttermilk, apple cider vinegar, and pure vanilla extract, and mix well.
- Add the granulated sugar, and mix well.
- Add the cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda, and mix well.
- Add the flour, and mix well.
- Add the red food coloring, and mix well.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake liners.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool and then transfer to a wire rack.
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the cream cheese frosting. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and pure vanilla extract. Mix together with a spatula and then use an egg beater or mixer machine if you have one. This makes the frosting smoother and creamy. Start with 2.5 cups of powdered sugar and if you need more, then add another ½ cup. If you want more frosting, you can double the amounts for the frosting recipe.
- Frost the cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.
- Can sprinkle some leftover red velvet cake on top of frosted cupcakes - ½ to 1 cupcake should do.
Rate this recipe