Red Velvet Cupcakes
FOR THE CAKE:
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2.5 to 3 cups powdered sugar (I used Vitacost certified organic powdered sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners. Makes about 24 cupcakes.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, eggs, buttermilk, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract, and mix well.
- Add the cane sugar, and mix well.
- Add the cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda, and mix well.
- Add the flour, and mix well.
- Add the red food coloring, and mix well.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake liners.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Let the cupcakes cool.
- To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until fluffy. Then add in the sugar, and mix well. Can mix by hand or in a blender.
- Frost the cupcakes with frosting.
- Can sprinkle some leftover red velvet cake on top of frosted cupcakes - ½ to 1 cupcake should do.
Rate this recipe