FOR THE CUPCAKES:
- vanilla cupcake recipe or chocolate cupcake recipe or 1 box of cake mix (+ other ingredients like eggs & butter as needed)
- 4 oz mini M&M's or other chocolate candies
- rainbow or confetti sprinkles
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 3 to 3.5 cups powdered sugar
- 12 tbsp butter, soft
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line cupcake liners in a muffin pan.
- Make cupcake according to box directions or vanilla cupcake recipe or chocolate cupcake recipe.
- Divide batter evenly between about cupcake liners.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool and then transfer to a wire rack.
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the buttercream frosting. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the powdered sugar, butter, vanilla extract, and milk. Mix together with a spatula and then use an egg beater or mixer machine if you have one. This makes the frosting smoother and creamy. Start with 3 cups of powdered sugar and if you need more, then add another ½ cup. If you want more frosting, you can double the amounts for the frosting recipe.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, use a knife to cut a hole about 1 inch deep with a ¾ inch diameter. Remove the cupcake center, and slice off some of the bottom of the cupcake center. You will use this to cover your M&M filling and give you a level surface to add frosting to. Fill each cupcake with about a tbsp of mini M&M's. Place the top part of the cupcake center back on the cupcake.
- Frost the cupcakes, and top with sprinkles.
- When you cut the cupcakes in half or take a bite of the cupcakes, the mini M&M's will come out. Surprise!
Rate this recipe