Chocolate Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting
FOR THE CAKE:
- 2 ¼ cups GF all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 8 tbsp butter, softened
- ⅓ cup oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup water (optional)
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 3 to 3.5 cups powdered sugar
- 12 tbsp butter, softened
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners. Makes about 24 cupcakes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the butter to the bowl, and then add in the oil.
- Add the pure vanilla extract, milk, and eggs to the bowl, and mix well. You can add up to ½ cup of water to the batter if you think that the batter needs thinning.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake liners.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool and then transfer to a wire rack.
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the buttercream frosting. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the powdered sugar, butter, vanilla extract, and milk. Mix together with a spatula and then use an egg beater or mixer machine if you have one. This makes the frosting smoother and creamy. Start with 3 cups of powdered sugar and if you need more, then add another ½ cup. If you want more frosting, you can double the amounts for the frosting recipe.
- Frost the chocolate cupcakes with the buttercream frosting.
Rate this recipe