Christmas Tree Brownies
1 hours 10 mins
FOR THE BROWNIES:
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup GF all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
FOR THE GREEN FROSTING:
- 3 to 3.5 cups powdered sugar
- 12 tbsp butter, soft
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- green food coloring
FOR THE TOPPINGS:
- candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line pan with non-stick aluminum foil. I used an 8x8 inch glass pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Add in the cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Let the brownies completely cool.
- While the brownies are cooling, make the frosting. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the powdered sugar, butter, vanilla extract, and milk to make the buttercream frosting. Mix well. Start with 3 cups of powdered sugar and if you need more, then add another ½ cup. If you want more frosting, you can double the amounts for the frosting recipe.
- Once the brownies are cool, remove the brownies from the pan. Cut brownies into triangles. I first cut the 8x8 brownie into two large horizontal pieces, and then made triangles. You will have some extra brownie pieces from the ends once you cut the triangles.
- Cut or break the candy canes into pieces that are about 1.5 inches long. I was able to get 3 "tree trunks" from each candy cane. Press a candy cane into the bottom of each brownie triangle.
- Add green food coloring to bowl of frosting. Mix well, and add enough until you like the color. I used a 6g single serve pouch of natural green food coloring.
- Add the green frosting to a frosting decorator tool or a zip lock bag. If using a zip lock bag, then seal the bag and use scissors to cut off a smaller corner of the bag.
- Carefully decorate the brownie trees with the green frosting. Add sprinkles to each Christmas tree.
Rate this recipe