Pineapple Upside Down Cake
FOR THE TOPPING:
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 can (20 oz) sliced pineapple
- 7 maraschino cherries
FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 ⅓ cup GF all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup pineapple juice (from can used for topping above)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a round 9" cake pan. I used butter to grease it. You can use a square pan too - I used a 8x8 pan first but didn't like how it looked aesthetically in the end.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the butter and brown sugar. Add mixture to pan.
- Add pineapple rings to pan so they all touch. I used 7 pineapple rings - 1 in center and 6 surrounding it. Place a cherry inside each pineapple ring.
- In another small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and butter. Add in sour cream, egg, and vanilla extract, and mix together. Add in flour-baking powder-salt mixture, and mix together. Add pineapple juice, and mix together.
- Carefully spoon batter over the pineapple in the pan, and spread evenly.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until cake is golden and a knife/toothpick comes out cleanly. I did 32 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven. Let it cool for 5-10 minutes and then carefully flip cake upside-down onto a platter or plate. Wait 30 seconds and then carefully lift pan off. Let the cake cool completely before slicing into it.
Rate this recipe