Ethiopian Lentil Dish
1 hours 5 mins
- 1 cup Fassica red lentils
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes w/ juices
- 1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 large yams, peeled & cut into small pieces
- 1 cup yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1 tbsp Fassica Berbere (hot spice blend)
- Fassica Brown Teff Injera and/or White Ivory Teff Injera (Ethiopian bread)
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the onions and saute until softened, for about 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle the Berbere seasoning into the pot.
- Add the lentils, broth, yams, and tomatoes to the pot.
- Let the mixture come to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the lentils are soft which should take about 15-20 minutes.
- Pour the coconut milk into the pot.
- Over low heat, let the mixture cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach.
- Remove from heat once the spinach is wilted.
- Serve with rolled up Teff Injera.
Rate this recipe