Sugar-Free Smash Cake
FOR THE CAKE:
- 1.5 medium bananas (½ cup mashed banana)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup yogurt (I use whole milk Greek yogurt - you can use dairy-free yogurt to make dairy-free as well)
- 2 tbsp peanut butter (optional - can omit to make nut-free or use nut butter of your choice)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup GF all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
FOR THE COCONUT FROSTING:
- 1 can coconut cream (13.5 oz)
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- The day before making your smash cake, put the can of coconut cream in the fridge. This will be used to make the frosting.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. I used a 4 inch round pan. You can use three 4-inch pans or reuse the same pan. Recipe will make three 4-inch cakes. Spray pan & line it with parchment paper. Place cake pan(s) on sheet tray.
- In a large bowl, mash the banana up well. Add eggs, and mix together. Add yogurt and pure vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Add in the flour & baking powder. Mix well.
- Pour a third of the batter into each pan so you can make three 4-inch cakes which will become a layer cake.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes. When a toothpick comes out clean from the center, they're done.
- Once the cakes are cool, you can put them together and frost them. To make the frosting, open the can of coconut cream. Pour out any liquid. Add the non-liquid part of the coconut cream to a bowl, plus the orange juice. Mix it together - I used an automatic mixer. You want the frosting to be fairly thick so if it's too liquidy you can put the bowl of frosting in the fridge to thicken it up before frosting your smash cake.
- Frost in between the layers of cake and stack them. Using a spatula, add frosting to the outer layer of the cake. Store in fridge.
Recipe adapted from my healthy blondie recipe
Rate this recipe